Dr Daniel Chua
BA Hon (Ed), MA (Soc Studies), PhD (History)
Executive Director and Head of Curriculum
Dr Daniel Chua is Executive Director and Head of Curriculum at Cognitus Academy. Before founding Cognitus Academy, he was a teacher and Head of Department at Saint Hilda’s Primary School. Since leaving the Ministry of Education (MOE), he has earned a PhD in history from the Australian National University (ANU) and taught Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral students in Australia and Singapore.
As a seasoned PSLE exam marker and innovative educator, Dr Chua guided his inaugural Primary 6 class to achieve at least an A grade, with 82% scoring A* for the PSLE English Examinations. Trained to teach high-ability learners, Dr Chua also coached students in Future Problem Solving, an enrichment programme for Primary Gifted Education Programme (GEP) students. In recognition of his dedication, he was awarded the Caring Teacher Award and was also a finalist for the inaugural Inspiring Teacher of English Award.
A scholar of Southeast Asia, Dr Chua comments on regional affairs such as the South China Sea disputes, ASEAN and regional politics. He is currently adjunct fellow at NTU and serves as a consultant to MOE's Curriculum Planning and Development Division. He was also adjunct lecturer at the National Institute of Education (NIE) where he conducted pedagogy courses for trainee teachers. He continues to teach undergraduate and post-graduate courses at NTU.
Led by Dr Chua, Cognitus Academy brings together a team of dedicated teachers with rich experience and deep expertise in teaching English in MOE schools.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours (Education), NIE, NTU
- Master of Arts (Social Studies), NIE, NTU
- Doctor of Philosophy (History), ANU
Other Certifications and Training
- Certificate in Teaching Pupils with High Ability, NIE, NTU
- Accredited Future Problem Solving (FPS) Coach and Evaluator
- Certificate Course on the Rules and Conventions of English Grammar (Primary), SEAMEO RELC
- Registered Teacher with the Australian Capital Territory, Canberra
- Teacher Counsellor, MOE
- Caring Teacher Award, NIE
- Finalist, Inspiring Teacher of English, MOE
- Fulbright Research Award, US Embassy in Singapore
- Character Development Award
- Student All-Round Development Award
- School Excellence Award
Consultancies and Affiliations
- Adjunct Fellow, RSIS, NTU
- Member, Editorial Board, POINTER: Journal of the Singapore Armed Forces
- Consultant, Curriculum Planning and Development Division, MOE (Ad-hoc)
- Consultant for commercial entities (Ad-hoc)
- Affiliate, SAF-NTU Academy
A frequent contributor, Dr Chua’s commentaries have been published in The Straits Times, Channel NewsAsia and international outlets. A list of publications can be found here.