Secondary English Programme
Would your child like to benefit from an English programme designed by an experienced university professor who teaches academic writing to Masters students in a top local university?
Cognitus Academy’s Secondary English Programme is designed by Dr Daniel Chua, an ex-MOE teacher and HOD, who has taught undergraduate and postgraduate students from NIE and NTU. Based on strategies taught to Gifted Education Programme (GEP) students, our programme takes full advantage of Paul and Elder’s Critical Reading and Writing (read more) strategies, extending students’ abilities to analyse and evaluate texts.
In the 5 levels of Critical Reading, paraphrasing and identifying main ideas are foundational skills for doing well in Secondary English exams. The deeper levels of critical reading (analysing text logic, evaluating text logic and understanding the writer’s intent) set Cognitus students apart from all others in the O-Level English exams.
Students are taught to dissect essay questions and analyse texts through the 8 Elements of Thought:
- Purpose: What are the objectives of this text/essay/image?
- Question at hand: What is the issue of contention involved?
- Point-of-view: What are the different points-of-view relevant to this text/question?
- Assumptions: What are the underlying beliefs and assumptions of the question/text?
- Information: What type of data do I need to answer the question?
- Concepts: What are the theories and concepts that I need to know?
- Conclusions and interpretations: How can the information be applied to the question?
- Implications: What will happen if my answer/proposal is implemented?
The consistent application of these thinking dimensions not only enhances your child’s cognitive ability, but also his/her speed in problem identification and analysis.
- Tools for developing strong analytical thinkers
- Strategies for essay writing:
- Two-plot approach for narrative essays
- Eight Elements of Thought for analysing essay questions
- Reflective writing approach that enhances plots and language
- Reading narrative and non-narrative comprehension texts for critical understanding
- Weekly discussions about current issues and trends
- Termly assessment designed to stretch students’ abilities
- Customised revision plans to prepare students for oral and listening exams
Do you still have any unanswered questions regarding how our English language programme fits your child’s needs? We are just a phone call or an email away, and you may be able to finally identify the best English teacher for your child. Alternatively, you can schedule a trial lesson with us today to find out why students come to Cognitus Academy to improve their English scores.