JC General Paper (GP) Programme
Is your child struggling to do well for the most critical subject in JC – General Paper? Even if your child is strong in other JC subjects, a low GP score will greatly limit his/her options for university admission. If you are a JC student reading this now, is your GP results causing you anxieties?
Cognitus Academy’s General Paper Programme is designed by Dr Daniel Chua, an ex-MOE teacher and HOD, who has taught undergraduate and postgraduate students from NIE and NTU. Applying the Paul and Elder’s critical thinking framework, our programme equips students with the eight Elements of Thought that enhance students’ ability to analyse issues of contention and make critical assumptions. These EOTs are taught to GEP students and used extensively in the best schools in Singapore. Cognitus Academy is the first education centre to infuse this approach into all our programmes.
Students are taught to dissect essay questions and analyse texts through the 8 Elements of Thought:
- Purpose: What are the objectives of this text/essay/image?
- Question at hand: What is the issue of contention involved?
- Point-of-view: What are the different points-of-view relevant to this text/question?
- Assumptions: What are the underlying beliefs and assumptions of the question/text?
- Information: What type of data do I need to answer the question?
- Concepts: What are the theories and concepts that I need to know?
- Conclusions and interpretations: How can the information be applied to the question?
- Implications: What will happen if my answer/proposal is implemented?
The consistent application of these thinking dimensions not only enhances your child’s cognitive ability, but also his/her speed in problem identification and analysis.
Writing Persuasive GP Essays
Apart from writing strategies, our GP programme also provides content lectures delivered by Dr Daniel Chua and other guest lecturers. These lectures cover the most pertinent issues students will encounter in their GP exams, including topics such as:
✔ Human Rights
✔ Social, Gender, Culture
✔ Law and Justice
✔ War and Conflicts
Answering Comprehension Questions
Students will develop critical reading and note-taking skills that will help them comprehend complex texts and answer open-ended questions accurately and with precision.
In the 5 levels of Critical Reading, paraphrasing and identifying main ideas are foundational skills for doing well in GP exams. The deeper levels of critical reading (analysing text logic, evaluating text logic and understanding the writer’s intent) set Cognitus students apart from all others in the A-Level exams. These skills benefit students beyond GP and also help them improve on other subjects.
- Tools for developing strong analytical thinkers
- Strategies for essay writing:
- Eight Elements of Thought for analysing essay questions
- Reflective writing approach that enhances writing techniques
- Reading comprehension texts for critical understanding
- Weekly discussions about current issues and trends
- Termly assessment designed to stretch students’ abilities
- Customised revision plans to prepare students for GP exams
Do you still have any unanswered questions regarding how our GP programme fits your child’s needs? We are just a phone call or an email away, and you may be able to finally identify the best teacher to coach your child for GP. Alternatively, you can schedule a trial lesson with us today to find out why students come to Cognitus Academy to improve their GP scores.